A metallic cake decorating powder linked to the hospitalisation of a toddler has been officially recalled nationwide over fears it may contain toxic metals causing serious harm if inhaled or ingested.
The recall comes two weeks after 14-month-old Gold Coast toddler Dustin “Dusty” Wildman survived a terrifying health episode after inhaling a metallic rose gold decorating powder while his mother, baker Katie Robinson, prepared a Bluey-themed birthday cake for a friend’s child on May 1.
Supplier Crumb Australia Pty Ltd issued the recall for several colours of its Creative Cake Decorating metallic powder range, including Rose Gold, Fiery Copper, Dior Gold, Platinum Silver and Champagne Gold.
Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today
The products were sold nationally, internationally and online between August 1, 2019 and May 6, 2026.
According to a recall notice published by the ACCC’s Product Safety Australia website, the powders “may contain copper and zinc dust which can be toxic if inhaled or ingested”.


“An incident has occurred resulting in the hospitalisation of a young child,” the recall notice confirmed.
Dusty had breathed in the decorating powder and, within moments, the toddler’s condition rapidly deteriorated and he began struggling to breathe.
The substance formed a dangerous sludge-like mass in Dusty’s lungs, requiring emergency surgery after he was rushed to Queensland Children’s Hospital in Brisbane, where he was placed into an induced coma.
The powder involved in Dusty’s incident was labelled “for use on removable parts”, wording Robinson said was vague and open to interpretation.
Tests on the product allegedly inhaled by Dusty showed it contained copper and zinc compounds.


Robinson previously raised concerns about how the products were marketed and displayed, saying edible and non-edible decorating powders appeared almost identical.
“All these products look exactly the same and the fact that there’s toxic, non-edible products sitting right next to edible products that do the same job, technically, is the problem,” she said.
The supplier has since removed the products from sale and contacted stockists requesting they be destroyed.
Consumers have been urged to stop using the recalled powders immediately, keep them out of reach of children and return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Authorities say anyone who suspects someone has inhaled or ingested the powders should call triple-0 immediately if the person is having difficulty breathing, or contact the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.



