Sydney players will be punished for serious breaches of club behavioural standards, separate to the police investigation into sexual assault allegations which has engulfed the AFL club.
The Swans have announced their board was meeting on Tuesday night to decide penalties.
Given the seriousness of what is said to have happened early on Monday morning, and the strong wording of the clubs statement on Tuesday night, suspensions appear inevitable.
Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today
Those penalties will be run past the AFL before being made public.
“Sydney can confirm that the club board will meet tonight to agree on player sanctions and penalties, now that the club has concluded its interviews with all the players involved in the incident in Melbourne,” the Swans said.
“We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and any actions we take are independent of this.

“The club believes the players are in serious breach of expected club behaviour and standards, and it is appropriate to take firm action and highlight that any sanction we impose relates solely to those breaches.
“The club also acknowledges that these serious allegations impact others and their wellbeing must be paramount. The Swans condemn all forms of abuse and disrespectful behaviour towards women.”
Veteran AFL journalist Caroline Wilson said the players had been grilled by club officials and there were suggestions a club rule had been broken.
“Sydney have to make a big statement here,” Wilson said on Channel 7’s The Agenda Setters.
“Now there has been a suggestion from the supporters of some of the players involved that they would accept a two-game suspension, which means they would miss the qualifying final and Round 24 … I don’t think it is (enough).
“And this has got nothing to do with an alleged sexual assault, which may or may not be proven. I honestly believe that this has exposed a cultural issue at the Sydney Football Club.
“Now, was Sydney aware of this? Were they aware of the depth of it? And is this an endemic example of what is going on with that culture? And if that is proven, then I think the club needs to achieve a major correction here.
“They need to make a big statement … and just draw a line in the sand, and say this behavior is not acceptable. I’m talking about going out and drinking.
“The allegations that two women were brought back to the hotel room, a hotel room, after 4o’clock in the morning … to me, that is just not the sort of behavior that can be accepted by a football club.
“This has exposed something in Sydney… a deep, deep problem. This is much more than a two-week suspension.”
Earlier on Tuesday night, AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon released a statement calling for more respect around the sexual assault allegations.
Stream The Agenda Setters on-demand anytime at 7plus
The police investigation and the coming club penalties relate to events that occurred early on Monday morning at East Melbourne’s Pullman Hotel.
Dillon said the allegations and the conduct of the Swans players were “deeply concerning”.
“While the matter remains under police investigation, it raises broader issues for our game and our responsibilities as a sport,” Dillon said.
“The woman who made the report to police is entitled to privacy and care, and that should be respected.”
Tellingly, Dillon also referred to the league’s own inquiries.
“Notwithstanding the ongoing police investigation, the AFL and Sydney will consider the broader conduct of the players as more information comes to light,” he said.
Dillon took aim at widespread commentary about what the allegations would mean for the Swans, who are guaranteed second spot and two home finals.
Much public criticism has arisen charging that the incident has sparked too much discussion about the Swans’ premiership chances and not enough around what is alleged to have happened at the hotel.
“Sexual assault allegations are serious, regardless of who is involved, what time of year it is, or what they may mean for a season,” Dillon said.
“Our first question should not be what this means for a football club. It should be whether our actions match the standards we stand for and the community expects of us.
“As a sport, and as an industry, we are clear about the standards we expect and the values we stand for and the need to uphold them.
“Being clear about our standards also means being prepared to act when those standards are not met.”
Earlier on Tuesday, Swans coach Dean Cox had expressed his disappointment about the situation.
“Obviously extremely disappointed with what’s happened, and understand the questions and we’ll update as we gather more information,” Cox said on Tuesday morning.
Victoria Police attended the Pullman, near the MCG, on Monday and said they were investigating a report of sexual assault in the early hours of the morning.
The Swans stayed at the hotel on Sunday night after their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG, guaranteeing them second spot with one game left before the finals.
Chad Warner, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Riley Bice have been widely named in media reports as the players involved in the inquiry, although none have publicly been accused of wrongdoing.
The players involved drove back from Melbourne on Monday night.
No players have been charged in regard to the investigation, which is ongoing.
On Monday, Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the club was working with relevant authorities and was “extremely shocked and disappointed”.
Unlike the NRL, the AFL does not have a strict no-fault stand-down policy on players charged with serious offences such as sexual assault.
But the AFL stood down Geelong’s Tanner Bruhn, who ultimately had sexual assault charges dropped, for the entire 2025 season while his case was in court.
Bruhn, who always maintained his innocence, returned to play this year.
Ahead of their last regular-season game against North Melbourne at the SCG on Sunday, Sydney will name an extended squad on Thursday evening.
That will cut that back to 23 players plus three emergencies on Friday. Sydney then have a week off during the wildcard round before a home qualifying final.
If you or someone you know needs help, contact 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732), Sexual Assault Counselling Australia (1800 211 028) or Lifeline (13 11 14).



